Saturday, April 19, 2014

Blood & Treasure Basic

Yes, Blood & Treasure Basic. For now - I might change the name.

I took the last week off of work, and in between hiking, grilling ribs and a much needed massage, I found time to write Blood & Treasure Basic, as well as finish up NOD 23 (should publish by Monday).

What is B&T-B?

Ultimately, it's that project I mentioned a post or so back in which I pondered doing different editions of a basic game using different public domain artists. While I thought of that, a couple ideas for simplifying B&T came to mind, so I started making notes, and notes led to writing, and a week later I had a game ...

B&T Basic is kind of the same game as B&T, but also kind of a different game. One could easily make the jump from one to the other, but Basic isn't just B&T with a bunch of material chopped off.

B&T Basic has the six traditional ability scores, with just a +1 or -1 modifier for high or low scores.

It has humans, elves, dwarves and halflings, with some multi-classing and level limits.

It fighters, magic-users, clerics and thieves, with some sub-classes that work like the variant classes in B&T - barbarian, paladin, ranger, assassin, bard, druid and cultist (the chaotic version of the cleric). Levels go from one to six.

The cleric and magic-user have spells from level 1 to 3, with the fewer spells than in Blood & Treasure (of course).

It has the basic equipment lists, the basic rules for dungeoneering (light, movement, tasks, combat, how to draw a dungeon, wilderness travel, settlements), all as simple as I can make them.

For monsters, you get all the basic monster types, with stats based on size and examples of monsters to make them more interesting. Why? I thought it would make it easy for TK's to invent new monsters if they could just label something a Medium Aberration to get their basic stats, and then drop in an AC, attacks and special abilities.

For treasures, I keep it simple so you get the coins, the gems, the objects and the magic items.

I wanted to get a couple new things in the game, so I came up with a retainers system and super simple encumbrance. Since the levels only go to six so there are no rules for strongholds. In exchange, I decided that sixth level characters get a retainer, or sidekick. I also decided to roll them randomly, since I love random stuff! The retainer is a 1st level comrade for the adventurer, with whom they share some experience points. Honestly - I have no idea how well this will work. Maybe they should be higher level? Maybe second?

Anyhow - here's the table ...

At this point, the game runs about 30 pages without art - I figure when I add a title page, contents, index, and illustrations it will be around 35 to 40 pages, so not too shabby.

13 comments:

  1. Farking brilliant. When I was doing variant S&W classes I included a henchman at 7th level, sort of a runup to the full followers at 9th level. I thought 2nd level was a little safer than 1st level.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I already shifted to second level in my document. First is too delicate for the adventures sixth level characters go on, and third seems to high. Then again - what's the point of including something in a game if gamers can't argue about it and make house rules to change it?

      Delete
  2. This is all kinds of awesome! I can't wait to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Don't change the name. It's perfect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would only change it if I thought using the term "basic" could get me in trouble. You'll notice I went with blue instead of red - don't want any encounters with lawyers.

      Delete
  4. Are you just this determined to keep selling me stuff? And why are you letting this get in the way of the very important stuff like supplement to Space Princess to allow space patrol members in colorful uniforms to dauntlessly travel places no human has tread previously. ;)

    I do like the retainer idea. I've been thinking more and more lately on encouraging players to build their structures earlier even though the rules benefits start as written. This isn't exactly that but does build some in that direction.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, a download will be needed. Soon. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why not get the retainer at 5th level? If that retainer lives long enough to gain a level the PC gets a small band of minions at 6th level because they are a succesful leader.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even though the game only goes to level 6, I might expand on it later, to level 12, so I'd like to maintain the normal stronghold concept to keep it on an even keel with B&T.

      Delete
  7. Cool beans. Now if only I had money.

    ReplyDelete
  8. FYI - I think I'm going to call it "Bloody Basic"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shouldn't be much longer - editing almost done. Thinking I'll do a mutant edition as well.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...