Wednesday, August 2, 2017

The Antiquarian - Thumbnail Class Sketch

When I forget my phone at home, I usually spend lunch writing in a little notebook rather than reading. Today I had a few ideas for a class, which I present before in "thumbnail sketch" format, rather than fully realized.

This fellow will probably find his way into Esoterica Exhumed in a more fleshed-out form.

The Antiquarian ...

- Rolls d4 for hit points

- Fights and saves like a magic-user

- Can read obscure languages

- Collects dusty tomes, books, scrolls - carries them on his back, so he's hunched over - provides protection from back stabs

- Can call up the ghosts of the past to help him (knowledge, fighting, etc. - "Julius Caesar, I choose you") - I figure this will work a little like an illusionist's shadow conjuration spells

- Legend lore, as a bard (or more so)

- Use magic scrolls to cast spells; can always identify potions and scrolls

- Can recall ways to fight monsters ("Egad, I nearly forgot that ogres are allergic to dust mites") - while fighting a monster, but only if the group doesn't have what they need - they can use the method in future fights, though, and get a +1 to hit the monster

- Has bad eyesight from all the reading - easier to surprise

- Resistance to magic - 3% per level to divination, enchantment and illusion; 1% per level to necromancy, transmutation, etc.

2 comments:

  1. I would definitely play this class! I love all of the little details you've considered, like the backstab thing and the eyesight thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. My methodology is to come up with something that seems to have a place in the game, even if it's a small thing, come up with a few reasonable abilities - no brainers - and then try to think of one or two surprises to make it interesting.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...