|Image from Blood & Treasure by Jon Kaufman|
Maybe it's the pain killers I've been taking since I had a wisdom tooth was pulled, but here are a collection of goofy variations on the venerable cockatrice. When one of the killer chickens shows up as a random monster, roll 1d8 and replace him with one of his cousins.
1. Cock'a'leeky - wounds from its bite do not heal, save with the application of a cure light wounds spell and holy water. Each successful bite attacks deals 1 point of damage per hour until healed.
2. Cock Robbin' - a cockatrice that can back stab for double damage, move silently and hide in shadows as a 5th level thief. Has a black mask marking on its face.
3. Cockatrice Rex - a cockatrice the size of a tyrannosaurus rex (essentially a t-rex with a petrifying bite).
4. Cockatwice - two headed cockatrice with two bite attacks.
5. Cock'n'Bull - like a chimera, except with the head of a gorgon and a cockatrice (use gorgon stats with an extra bite from the cockatrice head).
6. Peacockatrice - its colorful feathers hypnotize (save or stunned for 1d4 rounds).
7. Poppycock - has a bright red plume, its bite causes a deathless sleep (save or permanent sleep, can be defeated with a remove curse spell).
8. Weathercockatrice - belches a killer fog (cloudkill) in place of the petrifying bite.
Of course, wise adventurers will remember to bring their cockatrice spaniel, a hunting dog immune to the creature's petrifying bite.