Friday, February 4, 2011

Medieval City


I don't know whether you would term this a city or a town - probably a town. Either way, I found this map and wanted to share it. Had I more artistic ability (and I might go to the trouble of investing time into learning) the city maps in NOD would look like this - much more evocative than simple line maps.

The image was found at the Apollonia-Arsuf Archaeological Project from Tel Aviv University. It's a reconstruction of a crusader city, and you can find more descriptive text at the link.

So, enjoy the map - Deviant Friday will follow in a few hours.

4 comments:

  1. I've always liked bird's-eye style maps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know whether you would term this a city or a town

    Depends on the era, but my guess would actually be a city -- well in Medieval terms not in D&D terms. Outside of Kievan Russia and the Northern Italian states, cities in Europe were tiny.

    Now in D&D, that's totally a town. We are not bound by Medieval history (says the Medievalist).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice - thanks for sharing. This image and the bird's eye one in MacCaulay's Castle book might make some good custom brushes in the GIMP or PS.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...