Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Mystery Men! Gamma Release

No, not a release focusing on emerald-hued radiation accidents that just want to be left alone, but the follow up to the gamma release. I've put in the beta errata and made some other big changes to ability score generation, rolling feats and the monster stats - also added the ever lovin' blue-eyed Tarrasque and a little sample artwork that will appear in the finished product. When I find time (HA!) I'm going to go back through past MM! posts and update the stats to the Gamma edition rules and maybe re-run the combats where old procedures clash with new procedures. I also still need to update the character sheet. All in good time. So - enjoy the gamma release, give it a try, and don't hesitate to comment here or email me with your suggestions and errata. Roll up a character and have him fight a vampire or two, or pit an amazon princess up against a titan, or place a terrific trio over a pit containing a black pudding and let me know how it comes out.


--

Illustration of Fantome by and copyright 2011 Joel Carroll.

9 comments:

  1. THanks, I'm checking it out now. So you decided to still have things like energy bolt do d6 per level and cap at 10? I thought you were considering d6 per 2 levels. The scaling would be better IMHO.
    -Darren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also don't understand how to scale the costs of the "Super Strength" type powers. The table gives the 3 different duration costs for +4, but you only have one cost for each of the higher boosts, like +12. Shouldn't each have three values?

    -Darren

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm still considering that one. Fixing a maximum is at this point easier than going through all the different powers and changing them - some of the powers already use that formulation, so if I downgrade the damage of the others I either have to downgrade them as well or increase the XP cost. For now, I'm going to stick with a max level and see how that plays out. I might still change it. Of course, as with all rules light games, houserules are encouraged! Make it your game.

    The formula for power XP costs is as follows:

    x3 cost for a limited power

    x5 cost for a permanent power

    You'll find that on page 6, first paragraph of the right-hand column.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been following this pretty closely and while I have some ideas that might differ its still a very cool way to do quasi-old school Superhero gaming.

    Incidentally, if you need any artwork for the final product hit me up. You can see some of my comic book style Superhero illustrations on my blog.

    Good luck with this. It is Super-Neat!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ever-loving blue-eyed tarrasque? Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Trey.

    Barking Alien - You do nice work, and that's a very generous offer. I think I'll have to take you up on that, maybe something to illustrate the city "sandbox" or to illustrate some of the powers. I'll keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Haste" doesn't appear after "Harm" in the descriptions? I like the simplicity of the rules, but my hero-tweaking players are going to bark about a set EXP build # (given just 3 power tiers and not the familiar savings for power pools or branched specializations).

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry. Haste was merged into super speed - I'll have to edit references to it. In terms of power pools, one can choose to play a scientist or sorcerer to have a pool of XP to spend on ad hoc or prepared powers. My real hope, though, is to create a game simple enough that it can be modified as people like without breaking it. If your players want power pools, there's no reason not to include them, or to devise specializations or even introduce something akin to 3rd edition feats. Like anything else I write (and I'll opine on this in the final set of rules), modification is encouraged.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm not sure if I've said this already in the comments on an earlier version, but if not:

    I think it would work better if the default was based on monks rather than fighters ie Armour Class and damage were functions of level rather than of equipment (and then powers can add on to that).

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...